Numerous factors can result in catastrophic truck accidents, most of which stem from trucking companies attempting to minimize costs. By imposing strict deadlines on their drivers or neglecting federal and state regulations implemented to secure the safety of fellow roadway occupants, trucking companies cause a fatality approximately every 16 minutes in America.
Injuries sustained from truck accidents can be devastating in nature, ranging from permanent disability to death. A skilled, truck accident attorney, such as Jerrold A. Mayro, has the experience to survey the facts surrounding a truck accident and determine if a party’s negligence resulted in the accident.
When the Truck Driver May Be Negligent
A minor mistake by a truck driver can cause a catastrophic truck accident. Common causes of truck accidents due to a driver’s negligence include:
- Failure to secure cargo
- Driver fatigue due to sleep deprivation or disregarding required breaks
- Driving without adequate qualifications
- Operating a truck at dangerous speeds
- Inability to control the truck when driving through poor weather conditions
- Failure to adhere to local traffic regulations
- Aggressively driving and not allowing enough distance between the truck and other vehicles to sufficiently brake
When the Trucking Company May Be Negligent
Commercial trucks are unquestionably the most dangerous vehicles on our already congested roadways. While driver error may cause a truck accident, trucking companies may attempt sidestepping Federal and State regulations in an attempt to maximize their profits.
Actions of this nature include:
- Overloading the truck – Companies often overload trucks to reduce the number of deliveries necessary. Overloading can throw off the center of gravity, which decreases the driver’s ability to maneuver, and can cause the truck to develop unsafe momentum, increasing the amount of brake time necessary
- Failure to provide adequate maintenance – A truck with defective components or one that breaks down on the roadway due to inadequate maintenance can result in a catastrophic accident
Pressures Applied by Trucking Companies
The trucking industry can apply immense pressure on drivers to perform at a superhuman level. Due to truckers wishing to maintain good standing with their employers, they may often break regulations that help protect the safety of other roadway occupants.
If you have been involved in a truck accident in the Phoenix, Mesa, or Tucson, Arizona area, please contact our Phoenix truck accident office today or call (602) 604-8400 to schedule your personal consultation with Jerrold A. Mayro.